Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Paul Krugman should know better

Civility is important to me. I am all for fighting the other guys' arguments tooth and nail, but try not to engage in name calling, because name calling devolves into the sort of ugly spectacle we just saw in the US Senate, where a member (physician!) from Oklahoma encouraged prayer for the illness or death of a colleague.

I was thus disappointed when Paul Krugman, whose work I admire, encouraged the left to hang Joe Lieberman in effigy, and then issued a non-apology-apology is his column the other day. I am not crazy about Lieberman--he seems to have the Tartuffe-like combination of sanctimoniousness and naked ambition (ok, now I am name calling a bit)--but using violent imagery as part of a policy debate is not acceptable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word.

Anonymous said...

Joe LIEberman is indefensible.
Your try?
FAIL.

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Honestly, I think he is just not that bright. Mixed with spite. The best approach is the Colbert approach. As is the usual.(proudly, another big ten grad.:))