Tuesday, July 26, 2011

This is probably a crazy, stupid idea for getting around the debt ceiling, but...

...here goes anyway. 

Consider a 30-year Treasury Bond with a coupon of 4 percent and a par value of $100.  Treasuries pay every six months, so this produces 60 cash flows of $2 and then $100 at the end of the 30 years.

To make things easy, assume for a minute that that market is discounting 30-year bonds at 4 percent per year (or 2 percent per six months).  Suppose the US government offers investors a swap of 4 percent coupon bonds for 8 percent coupon bonds.  If we don't worry about duration issues for a moment, and use Excel notation (I don't know how to get Greek symbols in blogger), investors would be indifferent between:

PV(.02,60,2)+100/(1.02^60)

and

PV(.02,60,4X)+100X/(1.02^60).

X is the face value of the new bond, and comes out to about $58.99.  So the face value of the debt is reduced by 41 percent, while the value to investors remains constant.  Nothing of substance has changed (and actually duration risk is a little lower), but the balance sheet looks better.

I am sure I am missing some institutional thing here, or maybe my simple finance is off somehow, but still...










4 comments:

Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a great, well formatted and easy to understand post with useful information, keep it up and keep writing this way.Properties for sale in north London

SEO said...

"Thank you very much for the whole information.I agree with all the points mentioned here and noticed all your important points. I think it will help many people.I was little bit aware about it but your post gave me clear idea. "
Wedding sherwani

SEO said...

"i am glad to found such useful post. I really increased my knowledge after read your post which will be beneficial for me.
venice 5 star hotels