Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Tiebout sure knew what he was writing about

I went to my 35th high school reunion last weekend, in La Crosse, Wisconsin.  It was very pleasant--people were very nice.  But a large number of my classmates were puzzled that I enjoyed living in Los Angeles (OK, Pasadena)--they figured that I lived there only because I had to for my job.  I had to assure them that beyond weather, LA had many attributes that I liked, including the fact that it is a large city.  (I also like the mountains, the ocean, the food, the music, and the wide variety of people).

On the other hand, I always figured that people stayed in La Crosse because of family ties.  While it is a lovely place (it is on a stunning spot on the Mississippi River), it is, well, small, and pretty homogeneous.  It was quite clear to me, however, that the people who stayed there generally enjoyed living there. 

And so we sort.  Having lots of variation in cities almost certainly allows people to be happier, as they (often) find or stay in the place that best suits them. 

Let me finish the post with a picture of a sign one will certainly not see in Los Angeles.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

DAVID LINDAHL says that, Tax Lien or Tax Deed? This query occurs a lot among traders eager in Tax crime real estate investment. What's the distinction between Tax liens and Tax actions and which is better to get in? The response to that query is this, which are you looking to do, earn cash on your money? Or own real estate asset with your cash / investment? If you just want to get the interest amount and charges on your investment then Tax Liens is the best choice.

World Latest News said...
This comment has been removed by the author.