Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's a good thing Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is not a professor

I ran across this item where he banned a player for using twitter. Apparently he didn't like the fact that the player pointed out that he was late for practice.

I thought coaches were supposed to be tough, but I am guessing that Mr. Leach would have a tough time with course evaluations and peer review of his work; if you don't have a thick skin, you will not be happy in the academic game.

More important, we keep being told that football players are student athletes (in my experience, most try hard to be so). Students need to be allowed, indeed encouraged, to express themselves freely--that is part of what a university education is supposed to be about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, though, students are also learning professionalism, and I"m pretty sure that I tweeted something uncomplimentary about the Dean, it would be a bad thing.

Lisa